About Me

My photo
Simply put, I love food. I revel in everything about it: taste, texture, preparation, presentation, etc. The most favored aspect for me is the social aspect of food…learning to cook from one’s mother, preparing food with friends, grilling out, potlucks, dinner parties or simply meeting for dinner. I light up watching the people I love eat the food that I create. It still truly amazes me how food brings us together. So a little about me. Now in my early 30s, I’ve learned all I know about cooking from my mother and grandmothers. My Midwestern roots are definitely reflected in my cooking style and the recipes that I choose as I am very “meat and potatoes” centric and heavy handed with the butter sometimes. More later, but for now Happy Nomming!

Monday, February 6, 2012

Eggs Galore!

So I remember when I went off to college, my mom telling me stories of when she and my father moved in together at Purdue.  She worked in some sort of chicken facility so she got to take home eggs all of the time.  Whenever they were low on funds, there were always plenty of eggs to be had.  Her go-to meal in a pinch is still fried egg sandwiches.

Now I can whip up a fried egg sandwich with the best of them, but somehow they never turn out as good as my mom's.  Doesn't that sound completely stupid? It's an egg, butter, a frying pan and some salt & pepper...so how does hers taste so much better than mine. Duh! Cause everything is better when your mother makes it for you.

So here's what I've been doing with eggs lately. (Oh and a little bit of leftover bacon from the Midwesterner's Bread.  I know, really?  I had leftover bacon? Totally unheard of! But it happened.)

Both of these recipes serve one hungry person.

Modified (GF) Egg in a Frame (aka Toad in a Hole and/or One-eyed Jack)


1 bell pepper, sliced in 1/2" rings
3-4 eggs
1 Tablespoon olive oil
salt & pepper, to taste
Toppins

Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Place bell pepper rings in hot oil and saute for approximately 2 minutes. Flip rings and break one egg into each. Season with salt & pepper. Cover until eggs are cooked until desired (I like mine over-easy or medium hard). Adorn with toppins! I choose bacon (I will always choose bacon!) and cheese. Serve hot, delicious and gluten free!

Italian Eggs of Nom


1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 clove of garlic, minced (or a 1/2 teaspoon of that jarred stuff you have in your fridge door)
1/4 of a small onion, diced
1 cup of cherry tomatoes, pureed
1/2  teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
salt & pepper, to taste
1/4 cup of parmesan
2-3 eggs (dependent on the volume of your stomach growl)

Heat olive oil over medium. Saute garlic and onions until translucent. Puree tomatoes with rosemary, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. (Feel free to use the fresh stuff, but I can't seem to use that stuff before it spoils in my fridge and I manage to kill all of the live plants I buy) Cook down until tomato sauce thickens. Stirring occasionally.  Sprinkle on the parmesan cheesey goodness. Break eggs atop the cheese. Cover and cook to desired. I like mine over-medium for this one. Serve hot with some oven 'fried' potatoes! (recipe follows)


Oven 'Fried' Potatoes (for one)


One potato (of any variety*), sliced 1/4-1/2"
Olive oil
Salt & pepper (or seasoned salt and pepper rather!!!)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lay the potato slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle on desired seasonings. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, turning once about halfway through.  Serve with some Sriracha cause that stuff is liquid crack to a potato!

*Try with sweet potatoes. Season with cumin and drizzle lime juice on them prior to serving! (Skip the Sriracha on this one though)

No comments:

Post a Comment