About Me

My photo
Simply put, I love food. I revel in everything about it: taste, texture, preparation, presentation, etc. The most favored aspect for me is the social aspect of food…learning to cook from one’s mother, preparing food with friends, grilling out, potlucks, dinner parties or simply meeting for dinner. I light up watching the people I love eat the food that I create. It still truly amazes me how food brings us together. So a little about me. Now in my early 30s, I’ve learned all I know about cooking from my mother and grandmothers. My Midwestern roots are definitely reflected in my cooking style and the recipes that I choose as I am very “meat and potatoes” centric and heavy handed with the butter sometimes. More later, but for now Happy Nomming!

Monday, March 12, 2012

Asiago Cheese Grits

I posted this photo to my Facebook page and copious commenting ensued.  A flurry of pork and grits lovers appeared from the woodwork of my friends list and everyone seemed to be drooling. I can't imagine why?



So the recipe for the Cider-Braised Pork Shoulder with caramelized onions can be found on the lovely Epicurious Website.  The grits recipe follows and, as if I hadn't taken this nonsense far enough, I topped it with an over-easy egg at the suggestion of a foodie friend.  FOODGASM!!!

I've made these grits with various types of cheese. Cheddar works especially well if you decide to put some tasty shrimp atop them.  Maybe I will post that recipe sometime in the future...mmmmm Shrimp & Grits.

Asiago Cheese Grits

2 1/2 cups milk (I use whole because well it's just better for these sorts of delicious things)
2 cups water (I love free ingredients) 
1 teaspoon salt 
1 1/3 cups stone-ground grits (white or yellow, doesn't matter - just NOT instant!)
3-4 Tablespoons butter
1/2-3/4 shredded asiago cheese (portion dependent on your love for all things cheese)

Combine milk, water and salt in a large saucepan.  Bring to boil over medium heat. Whisk in the grits slowly.  Cover and reduce heat to low.  Now, this is important, grits love to stick to the bottom of your beloved saucepans so you need to tend to them.  Whisk or stir them about every 5 minutes (otherwise you'll be scrubbing the bottom of that pan after it has soaked in your sink and annoyed the crap out of you with its presence for about a week). After about 20-25 minutes, your grits should be nice and creamy.  

Add the butter and cheese. Stir until both are melted to perfection.  I like my grits a little more salty as well, so I typically add about another 1/2-1 teaspoon of salt (depending on the week, if you know what I mean) right about now. 

Top with whatever or just grab a big ol' wooden spoon and start shoving this stuff in your face. Yea, it's that good.




No comments:

Post a Comment