About Me

My photo
Simply put, I love food. I revel in everything about it: taste, texture, preparation, presentation, etc. The most favored aspect for me is the social aspect of food…learning to cook from one’s mother, preparing food with friends, grilling out, potlucks, dinner parties or simply meeting for dinner. I light up watching the people I love eat the food that I create. It still truly amazes me how food brings us together. So a little about me. Now in my early 30s, I’ve learned all I know about cooking from my mother and grandmothers. My Midwestern roots are definitely reflected in my cooking style and the recipes that I choose as I am very “meat and potatoes” centric and heavy handed with the butter sometimes. More later, but for now Happy Nomming!

Monday, January 16, 2012

Coconut Rice Pudding

It took me awhile, but I finally developed a taste for rice pudding.  I’d tried at least a half a dozen prepackaged concoctions and box mixes totting the name ‘rice pudding,’ but they were all terrible.  So finally I found one that I truly love.


4 cups whole milk
1 cup arborio rice (about 8 ounces)
½-3/4 cup sugar (I like mine sweeter!)
One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup coarsely shredded unsweetened coconut


In a large saucepan, combine the milk, rice and sugar with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the rice is tender and suspended in a thick, creamy sauce, about 30 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is very tender and the liquid is thickened, about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly.
In a medium saucepan, toast the coconut over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and golden, about 4 minutes.
Serve with rice pudding adorned with toasted coconut. 

No comments:

Post a Comment